Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Real O.C. -La Verdad


These streets weren’t paved with gold, but with lost souls…some unrealized dreams, some pot holes that caused some to stumble, some to crash and remain stranded.  Excuse me if this reads a bit poetic, I don’t mean to mislead because poetry is often seen as beautiful and life on Leatrice couldn’t be that.  Perhaps there is a hint of Poetry in the form of justice.


Where's My Opinion?
Now I know I may be out of place since I'm not another old white guy writing my opinions about the on goings of other old white guys. I'm just a kid who grew up in the OC and to this point have remained rather silent. But, I am the OC. I am that part that doesn't get any attention in an Opinion Section, but rather in the local section, or sometimes the front page, in that Black and White area of court cases and murder suspects.
I would love to have an opinion. I would love to share my opinion. I would love to have something for old white men to read and think, "Who's this...Why is he in the opinion section of MY OC REGISTER?"
Not that I'm making it about race, because it really isn't. It's about having a voice. It's about being heard, about being represented, and about sharing the OC.
With that said, my commentary would be like this:
Here it is, not what you've seen on TV (Fox 11, or MTV), the real OC, no subtitles.

The OC--La Verdad

These streets weren’t paved with gold, but with lost souls…some unrealized dreams, some pot holes that caused some to stumble, some to crash and remain stranded. Excuse me if this reads a bit poetic, I don’t mean to mislead because poetry is often seen as beautiful and life on Leatrice couldn’t be that. Perhaps there is a hint of Poetry in the form of justice.
This episode of the OC will not be televised, it will broadcast in time, in life, and across a channel of white noise.
Far from the beach, and away from the luxuries of beautiful women, big homes, and fancy cars there are three friends who's lives are intertwined with drugs, violence, and poverty.
Our characters are Black and Latino. Our characters live in large apartment complexes.
That's enough of a preview. Will you stay tunned? Will you care for their story...for their opinion?
Opinions are suppossed to give us insight into our problems. If our problem is overcoming poverty, or the low AP scores of certain schools, or voter registration, shouldn't the opinions of those directly involved be counted as insightful?
We'll see. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment