Thursday, May 24, 2012

When Mothers Eyes Cry


I remember being brave
My Moma with tears in her eyes
Her gentle kiss…its sweetness.
Our goodbyes.

I remember hot days
And summer BDU’s
My left…my military left from my right.

And I sang proud
Every cadence loud.

I remember it’s, “Yes Drill Sergeant/No Drill Sergeant.”
And that one song rings on
“Moma, Moma, don’t you cry…your little boy ain’t gonna die.”

I’ve known better days
But none recently.
Just these war days.

And when the morning comes
My sergeant reminds me
“Any day you’re still alive is a good day.”

And when the evening comes
And we’re still alive
he says again, “No Mothers will cry tonight.”

And like the song goes,
“Moma, Moma, don’t you cry…your little boy ain’t gonna die.”
And we all hope it’s true.

And every night I pray
for the last line of that song to play,
“And it won’t be long…till I get on back home…

…till I get on back home.”

1 comment: